Passionate about supporting teachers, principals, other educational leaders, and parents to strengthen the quality of learning for our children, I’ve been privileged to speak and coach in a number of settings.
Below is my presentation at #140edu 2012 – The State of Now at the 92nd Street Y in Manhattan on the topic of instructional coaching.
Putting On The Coach’s Hat To Improve Instruction
I am also pleased to share a number of videos featuring the innovative work of Portfolio School, where I serve as Founding Lower School Director.
Educational Podcasts on which I’ve been featured include:
- The Coach Approach to School Leadership: Leading Teachers to Higher Levels of Effectiveness Jessica Johnson, Shira Leibowitz & Kathy Perret join Justin Baeder to discuss their book The Coach Approach to School Leadership: Leading Teachers to Higher Levels of Effectiveness.
- TeacherCast Podcast #14 “The Value of School Leadership” (@mr_brett_clark, @ShiraLeibowitz, @principalsharp, @RondMac) TeacherCast sits down with Shira Leibowitz, Brett Clark, Jarret Sharp and Ron McAllister to talk about Educational Leadership and how we can set the best example for others.
- TeacherCast Podcast #18 “Digital Citizenship and PLC’s” (@ShiraLeibowitz, @AHenrey, @coachb0066) TeacherCast sits down with Shira Leibowitz, Amber Henery, and William Brannick to discuss Digital Citizenship in our schools and how we can use our PLC’s to our advantage.
- TeacherCast Podcast #20 “Teaching Beyond the Classroom Walls” (@Mr_Brett_Clark @ShiraLeibowitz @Akevy613) TeacherCast sits down with Akevy Greenblatt, Shira Leibowitz, and Brett Clark to discuss how teachers can learn to think differently about 21st century teaching methods.
- TeacherCast Podcast #23 “#EduCoach” (@principalj @ShiraLeibowitz @KathyPerret) TeacherCast sits down with Jessica Johnson, Shira Leibowitz and Kathy Perret from the #educoach twitter chat to discuss the importance of Educational Leadership.
- TeacherCast Podcast #32 “KidBlog.org”(@kidblog.org @DanFlies @shiraleibowitz) TeacherCast sits down with the creators of KidBlog.org to talk about their amazing FREE classroom blogging platform.
- TeacherCast Podcast #39 “The Many Hats a Principal Wears” (@brentcoley @shiraleibowitz @rondmac @principalj) TeacherCast sits down with Shira Leibowitz, Ron McAllister, Jessica Johnson and Brent Coley for Administrator Cast 3.0!
- TeacherCast Podcast #40 “Social Media and the School System” (@shiraleibowitz @ron_peck @wiscprincipal @mamouton1) TeacherCast sits down with Ron Peck, Curt Rees, Shira Leibowitz and Marion Mouton to talk about the role of Social Media in the school district.
- Teachercast Podcast #51 “EdJewCast”(@Bassjen1 @shiraleibowitz @akevy613) TeacherCast welcomes guest hosts Jennifer Bradbury and Shira Leibowitz as the panel discusses Jewish Education in society today.
- Teachercast Podcast #71 “Administratorcast 4 No Office Day (@principalj @shiraleibowitz @wkingbg) TeacherCast sits down with Jessica Johnson, Shira Leibowitz and William King to discuss No Office Day.
- Eduleadership Radio Podcast: No Office Day 2011 Jessica Johnson, Shira Leibowitz, and William King discuss No Office Day in this episode of Eduleadership Radio. No Office Day is a movement to get out of the office and into classrooms – something we should do every day, but something worth focusing on to improve our practice.
I proudly presenting with my co-authors Jessica Johnson and Kathy Perret at ASCD’s national conference Empower 17 on The Coach Approach To School Leadership
Not only am I developing a robust instructional coaching program at my own school, but I have also provided coaching to other schools through Darim On-line’s Social Media Boot Camp as well as to individual principals.
Another topic on which I speak frequently is on raising compassionate, socially conscious children. In these sessions I have drawn upon insights from the upbringing of moral exemplars, most particularly although not exclusively, Holocaust rescuers. I was privileged to present on this topic at Purdue University’s 2011 Holocaust Conference Student Program in a special session for educators on what Holocaust rescuers have to teach parents and educators about character development.
I presented a course on Learning and Leading in Online Community for the 2013 Connecting Online for Instruction and Learning Conference (C013).
Extending my support for educators to on-line Communities of Practice, I served as facilitator of YU2.0, a community of educators invested in learning, collaborating and integrating technology into education. I am also comoderator of #educoach, a learning community on twitter on the topic of instructional coaching, including a weekly real time conversation, ongoing sharing of resources and professional collaboration, book discussion group, and Instructional Coach Chat Wiki, or collaboratively developed web site.
You can reach me at email@example.com and on Twitter @shiraleibowitz